A Writer's Woe

So, I am always on the hunt for effective ways to write--to be better and more efficient.  I am always amazed by the writing habits of my fellow authors. Everyone has their process. Some writers get up and write in the morning, some must have music, a glass of wine, others outline, some write by the seat of their pants, some use cards, software programs... the list is as long and as varied as the writer.

For me, I work from the synopsis that frames my story. For all of the 27 years that I've been writing, I write in a linear fashion--from beginning to the end. I write straight through. However, always one willing to try something new, I decided to try this thing that some of my writing buddies use--write the scene as it comes to you and then place it in the story. Hmm. Okay.

So, I'm working on my next novel When I'm With You, and find myself stuck. The first problem is that I veered away from my synopsis and realized that if I didn't get back on track my novel would be like 100 pages short, because the way I was writing, all the loose ends would be tied up in a matter of a few more pages.  I went back to my synopsis and realized that I'd totally left out certain elements of the plot.  Sigh. (did I mention that I really don't like revision)?  Anyway, I think well maybe now is the time to try out that "scene thing."

 I began writing individual scenes that would be needed. But once I'd completed writing these scenes, I needed to figure out where they belonged while also fixing the surrounding writing that I'd already completed.

I inserted the scenes and saw that further down in the manuscript other things now don't make sense. Grrrr (did I mention that I don't like revision)?

I read and re-read until none of it made sense.  The scenes hovering in a separate file are "Gone With the Wind" brilliant (haha), but can I even use them without re-writing those as well?

Today, my plan is to get this story in order (which is late in delivery already). I need to do what I've always done, return to my synopsis, check off the elements that I've completed, complete the missing pieces and move forward. 

Sometimes it's fun to try something new and venture into uncharted waters. Then there are times like this when you just gotta stick with what you know.

Onward!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of My Brownstone Days

Outrage Overload

Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll