THESE MADE AN IMPRESSION ON ME in 2020

 With a full workload and a non stop writing schedule, reading for pleasure is a luxury that I take very seriously.  I don't have the time or brain width to "hope that a book will get better." As a result of that I have come across some really memorable books this year.  They definitely took some of the sting out of being quarantined.

I actually listened to this book on Audible. Suffice it to say I was enthralled from the beginning to the end.  Each afternoon and evening on my walks I would treat myself to listening to the intriguing story of two sisters and the dissimilar paths they took and the reasons.
A book about choosing who we will become.


Caste by Isabel Wilkerson is a book that you must sit down with. Otherwise you will find yourself stomping in fury around the house.Wilkerson lays out in clear, visual detail the origins of racism, which is much more insidious and more deeply ingrained than you would ever imagine--even more enlightening is that what we think is racism is not what think it is at all.
 

Americanah by Adicihie is another novel that I enjoyed

listening  to. Oh my goodness!        The selection of narrators was


 phenomenal. So much so that as I listened, my thoughts took 

on a Nigerian accent. The love story is sweet, evolutionary and 

anchors the story's critique of the insidious effects of Western culture,

beliefs and desires. Outstanding.


       This novel was a total surprise! A pleasant one. A story that is part coming of age, poverty, human resilience, love and murder.   I was blown away by the end even as i suspected it was coming. This is a new author for me and I look forward to more work from her.

 


 Once again Terry McMillan does not disappoint. But the added treat is that she reads her own work. McMillan's total control of her characters and her own sassy tone, gives this novel of "a woman of a certain age" the energy, warmth and humor that will resonate long after the story ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of My Brownstone Days

Outrage Overload

Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll